Here's a partial list of some of the "first things" that took place in Owensboro.
A log cabin built by Bill Smothers somewhere between 1797-1798.
The first organ used in church was at St. Stephen's Catholic Church on May 22, 1849.
The "Joe Daviess" came through Owensboro on December 8, 1870.
The first tobacco factory in Owensboro is thought to be the first west of the Appalachian Mountains, built by Major John H. Smith. He died in 1883.
Circuit Judge Henry P. Broadnax, and Clerk George Handley
Organized here in 1879
The Bulletin, 1844
The first war draft of men for the Federal Army was made of 58 men, May 13, 1863.
The first census taken in Daviess County was done in 1820 and showed a population of 3,876.
The first county fair was held in 1850.
The first toll gate roads started in 1882.
The first "improved" road was a wooden plank road from downtown 5 miles down what is now Frederica St. It has been exposed several times in recent history.
The first telegraph line was built to Louisville in 1867.
The first rails in the county were built from Bon Harbor to the river in 1826, which was one of the first coal mines in KY, starting in 1825.
According to tradition, the first "school" in Owensboro was taught by Mrs. Susan Tarleton in the early 1810's. The story says she was on a boat going west, and around Cloverport, sank. She managed to float on a plank and was rescued from the river here. She had lost everything so a citizen gave her the use of a log cabin on W 2nd near the ravine where she taught small children.